"Judaism has never been solely a religion to me. It’s a people, a culture, and a religion, kind of like a state of being. It helps me locate myself in the world."
Boston Workmen’s Circle Development & Communications Coordinator
Boston Workmen's Circle Center for Jewish Culture and Social Justice is
- A community and spiritual home for secular Jewish life
- A voice for progressive Jewish values and social change
- An arts and education center celebrating Yiddish, Jewish, and progressive culture
We are proud to be a community where whatever your Jewish background, whatever the faith, ethnic, or gender diversity of your family, children and adults feel welcome and participate fully at all levels of the organization.
The Boston Workmen's Circle (BWC) Development and Communications Coordinator will design and implement communications strategies and materials for all BWC activities, including printed materials, online communication and social media and marketing.
Additionally, the Development and Communications Coordinator will assist the Executive Director with all elements of fundraising, including administrative, research, communications and tracking, and will be the lead staff person coordinating all fundraising events.
Key Responsibilities: Communications
- Webmaster: produce and upload new written and graphic content; establish and implement systems for removing outdated information; write regular "Around the Circle" blog posts; give ongoing attention to improvement and best practices
- Design social media strategies and regularly post content
- Produce regular online calendar and email newsletter, including written and graphic content
- Design and create all printed materials including brochures, fundraising mailings, etc.
- Strengthen the BWC "brand" with additional visibility such as signage, print materials, etc.
Key Responsibilities: Development
- Work with the Executive Director and the Fundraising Committee to develop annual fundraising calendar strategy and implementation plan
- Maintain database for tracking donor activity and produce reports as needed; collect and catalog background information on donor prospects
- Play a leadership role in helping staff and volunteers to understand and prioritize fundraising needs
- Develop and implement communications plans for effective and consistent stewardship of donors; assist with writing and production of annual report
- Offer grant research and support
- Serve as lead staff for fundraising and cultivation events, including annual auction, benefit concerts, and house parties
Essential Skills and Qualities:
- BA/BS or equivalent
- Minimum of two years of relevant experience
- Excellent written and oral communication skills as well as organizational skills,including editing and proofreading
- High comfort level with technology, including Microsoft desktop applications
- Web design skills (as needed to maintain and update current site)
- Strong graphic design skills, including fluency with layout programs and photoshop
- Social media & online marketing strategies skills
- Experience using databases to track member and donors; knowledge of eTapestry a plus
- Creative energy, self-starting; ability to manage multiple assignments in a busy nonprofit setting
- Ability to work individually and as a member of a team; flexibility
- Interest in and ability to articulate the mission and values of Boston Workmen's Circle. These values include:
- commitment to social, economic and racial justice;
- welcoming all people across race, religion, gender and sexual orientation;
- being a voice for peace and against the occupation in the Jewish community;
- standing against Islamophobia.
- Special consideration will be given to candidates with demonstrated history of success in a similar position.
Please submit a cover letter, your resume and a sample of your printed communications work (flyer, brochure, etc.) to email@example.com.
Interviews are ongoing in October. We are hoping to make a hire by the end of October.
Salary & Benefits:
- Salary is commensurate with experience
- Job is currently slated at 30/hours a week
- Generous vacation and benefits package: 12 vacation days in first year, plus sick, personal and holidays. Eligible for health benefits.
Please submit cover letter, resume and a sample of your printed communications work (flyer, brochure, etc.) to firstname.lastname@example.org
National Workmen's Circle:
Development Associate and Event Planner
The National Workmen’s Circle is a dynamic not-for-profit with an exciting opportunity for a Development Associate/Event Planner in our Development and Communications Department. This position reports to the Development Director and works closely with the Communications and Marketing Manager. You will have the opportunity to learn in a hands-on way and from seasoned professionals, and to participate in the ongoing re-design of a century-old organization, where fresh ideas are welcomed.
This position requires a highly organized, deadline-oriented and strong multi-tasker who can take ownership over projects, and see them to their conclusion – details intact. A natural ability to work independently as well as collaboratively with staff across all departments is essential. Enthusiasm, willingness to learn and a pitch-in-to-help attitude is important. Flexibility to come in early, stay late or work on weekends for events is required.
• Tracking and acknowledging contributions
• Development of grant proposals and Letters of Interest
• Drafting of solicitation mailings and other correspondence
• Donor research and cultivation
• Database/list management
• Development and oversight of development calendar (grant deadlines, reporting to funders, events, etc.)
• Participate in design and execution of event-related materials
• Planning and implementation for small and large events (cultivation and fundraising events, member programs, social justice events, annual street fair, high holiday events, annual member meeting, ad hoc programs)
• Logistics coordination, timeline and budget management of events
• Debrief and follow up after events
• Assist with board meeting preparation
• 1-3 years of experience in development and/or event planning in the not-for-profit sector
• Full working knowledge of MS Office Suite on PC
• Familiarity with database management, email marketing and social media tools
• Knowledge of WordPress helpful
• Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal skills
• Attention to detail, attention to detail, attention to detail
• Strong work ethic, pro-active, cooperative
• Ability to prioritize multiple tasks and manage time effectively
Our offices are bright, large and a happy place to be with friendly and supportive colleagues, more cake than we should be eating and a weekly visit by our ED’s dog. Salary is commensurate with experience and in keeping with the not-for-profit sector.
Please send a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to HR@circle.org. The subject line must read DEV. ASSOC. Submissions without all of these requests will not be considered. Thank you for your interest.
The Workmen’s Circle
247 West 37th St, 5th Floor
New York, NY 10018