“There are a lot of organizations doing political organizing, but I think we’re working on something different here in terms of talking about it as a community. It really struck home for me when we had the Shabbat dinner for gay and lesbian marriage.”
Adult Education Courses
Our adult education programming is geared toward exploring the meaning of Jewish history, ritual, and thought from a secular perspective. Courses are taught by highly qualified and stimulating guest instructors.
There are usually two courses each year, one in the fall and one in the spring. The number of sessions ranges from four to six, and tuition varies. Pre-registration is required. At least once every two years we offer a basic Jewish literacy course for new members.
Whether you are Jewish or non-Jewish, and whatever your level of Jewish knowledge, we invite you to learn, question, and challenge your thinking.
Upcoming for 2016:
The Secular Talmud Part II
Taught by Mónica Gomery
Six sessions meeting on March 6th and 20th, April 3rd and 17th, May 1st and 15th from 4:00 - 5:30pm at the BWC Building, 1762 Beacon St, Brookline.
**Registration deadline February 29th**. **Sliding Scale Rates available!**
- BWC Members: $80
- Non-members: $100
- Sliding scale rate BWC Members: $20
- Sliding scale rate non-members: $30
3 WAYS TO REGISTER:
►ON-LINE: Click here.
►BY CREDIT CARD: Call the Workmen's Circle office at 617.566.6281.
►BY CHECK: Mail your check, made payable to "Boston Workmen’s Circle," to 1762 Beacon Street, Brookline, MA 02445. Please be sure to include your address, phone and email.
Don't let price be a barrier- please contact Simcha to discuss options.
Past courses include:
- Blacks and Jews: Affinities, Departures and the Interweaving of Identities
- The Secular Talmud Part I
- Ashkenazi Identity and White Jews Working Against Racism
- Interpreting Jewish History
- Exploring Jewish Identity: History and Traditions of Mizrachi, Sephardi, and Ashkenazi Cultures
- U.S. Labor Post-WWII: From Reds Under the Bed to the War on Public Sector Workers
- History of the Jewish Left
- Jewish Literacy 101
- Zionism and the Roads not Taken
- Islam 101
- From Religion to Nation: The Evolution of Modern Jewish Identity